Sunday, February 28, 2010

Church Scavenger Hunt

Here are the clues we used for our scavenger hunt. Some of them are obviously tougher than others.

Door - Matthew 7:8, “For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.” The children would know to go to a door and look for the next clue. If you have a lot of doors you can add another clue by the reference such as the color of the door, the location such as N, S, E, W, or the Room number.

Window - Genesis 8:6, “After forty days Noah opened the window he had made in the ark.”

Hint: Look for a stained one of these, for hiding near a stained glass window.

Baptism - Matthew 3:11 “I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He will baptize you with the spirit and with fire.

Cross - John 19:19 Pilate had a notice prepared and fastened to the cross. It read Jesus of Nazereth, the King of the Jews.

Hint: Where we look when we listen. I hid them on the pulpit where we have a cross engraved.

Stairway -(Genesis 28:12)He had a dream in which he saw a stairway resting on the earth, with its top reaching to heaven, and the angels of God were ascending and descending on it.

Water fountain - John 7:37, On the last and greatest day of the Feast, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink.”

Kitchen - John 12:2, Here a dinner was given in Jesus’ honor. Martha served, while Lazarus was among those reclining at the table with him.

Hint: Think about what Martha was doing. I hid them at the serving window between kitchen and fellowship hall.

Teacher’s desk- Matthew 28:19-20 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.

Hint: I told them word 27 was key. I hid them in the teachers desk in the Sunday School room that wasn't being used as a dormitory.

Hymns- Col. 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God.

Hint: Where we look to find these. I hid them behind the hymn numbers at the front of the church.

Pew- Matthew 20:23 Jesus said to them, “you will indeed drink from my cup, but to sit at my right or left is not for me to grant. These places belong to those for whom they have been prepared by my Father.”

Hint: Where we Lutherans are typically found. I hid them in the last pew. These were the ones that mysteriously disappeared, but were also the most apparent.

Keep in mind we have a very small church. Our worship area and fellowship hall are on the main floor. We have 3 small Sunday school rooms and a youth room upstairs along with a balcony with our organ and choir pews. There aren't a lot of places to hide clues without 2 groups being in the same place at once. I limited it to 7 clues for that reason.

No comments: