Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Preschool Advice

Preschool registration was tonight. I felt like crying on the way home. Not because my "baby" is growing up so fast, but because I don't know what to do! Here's my dilemma. Our preschool has 2 options: 2 full days or 3 full days. I chose 2 full days and here's why:
  1. My plan is to send him through the preschool program twice. He's young and small, so my thought is that it will be better for him to be older than younger. (Pat strongly disagrees with me on that so much that we haven't talked about it in a long time.)
  2. It's FULL days. If it was half days I'd have no problem doing 3 days, but he'll only be 4. That's a lot of school for a 4 year old.
  3. We're broke and milk prices aren't projected to improve much at all this year. More days a week means more $$$.
Here's my problem:
  1. I will student teach next spring. I refuse to send him on the bus and with milking that leaves no one to take him to school in the morning.
  2. Carpooling would be an option, BUT all the other families we know and are nearby are doing the 3 days a week option.
  3. All the other kids he knows are doing the 3 days a week option. This doesn't concern me a whole lot since he isn't particularly attached to any of the kids, but it would still be nice to know the families of the kids he goes to school with.
So bloggyland, what would you do?

5 comments:

Kristi said...

That's quite a dilemma you have.

Can you enroll him in the 3-day plan but pick him up after lunch? That way he's got transportation for the morning. I don't know how the pick-up time would work, though.

Brennan Blog said...

2 days...Jake was almost 6 going full time and it took 2 months to adjust for full days.

Anonymous said...

2 days sounds like plenty for him. perhaps you can meet some parents of the kids in his class and you'll be able to arrange some sort of carpool system. Good luck, can't believe how big the boys are getting!

MrsTallPaul said...

My nephew who is very close in age to Cole started going 2 days this year and will go 3 days next year. They are full days. He would love to go 3 days now as he LOVES school...

It's a hard decision, especially when you throw the transportation issue in there as well. Good Luck on your decision!

Angela said...

Hi, I'm Rachel's friend you've been passing the WONDERFUL diaper advice to. Just wanted to chime in on this one and say that putting your kid through preschool twice is an excellent idea. My husband started school early - and was a small kid. He wishes he hadn't been started so early, because he was always the smallest and youngest in his class, and that it was tough.