Friday, June 25, 2010

I Got A New Car! Whoohoo!

Isn't it pretty? I really didn't want gray, but our options were pretty limited. They had a very nice blue one, but it had 11,000 miles on it and to me that's not really considered new anymore. If I'm going to pay the price of a new vehicle, I want a new vehicle. But that's really here nor there. I got a new car!

We had been talking about getting rid of the van for a while. Pat absolutely hated it. I liked it, but there were things I really didn't like and I'm willing to bet that by the end of the summer we would have had to put a new motor in our power doors. That was our main reason for sending the van down the road. Power doors and gravel roads don't mix.

We did a little shopping around, online and at the lot. For us it has to be a short process. We are limited to Chrysler and GM dealerships anywhere close and those vehicles are not an option for me. So we have to drive 2 hours to get a decent selection. I know, I know, "buy American!" I'll buy "American" when I can buy a vehicle and not have it depreciate faster than I can pay it off. I'll buy "American" when after a year or two it doesn't sound like I'm driving a convertible when I'm not. I say "American" because what does that really mean anyway? I don't think 100% American really exists.

So here you are, my car reviews.
What I didn't like about my 2007 Honda Odyssey EX minivan:
  • no auto headlights or DRLs
  • The second row middle seat was pointless unless you know someone who is only 6 inches wide.
  • Only 3 latch plates - in a minivan! Aren't those supposed to be geared toward families?
  • No MP3 port
What I will miss:
  • The storage! I was packing the Pilot and I miss the center floor storage, the second glove box, and the middle dash storage.
  • the radio controls on the steering wheel. ( We got the bare bones model Pilot)
  • the window shades for the kids.
  • My kids being able to climb into the van and their seats on their own
  • Being able to open the doors with the push of a button
What I love about the Pilot:
  • The auto headlights
  • The 4 latch plates
  • The evenly split 2nd and 3rd row seat. No 6 inch humans required!
  • The MP3 port! I'm so excited to listen to my music without static from the radio!
  • Not worrying about dust in the doors
  • It looks a whole lot cooler than the minivan, and I'm all about appearances! :)
We also test drove a Toyota Highlander. I really liked it, but there were a few things I didn't like. It had the mini seat like my van had. The 3rd row didn't have a split so it was all up or all down which left no room for storage. If we have a 3rd kid, family vacations would be interesting trying to cram 3 kids across the 2nd row so we could have room for luggage. It only had 2 latch plates which I just don't understand. Everything else we loved so we were nearly sold on the Highlander but needed to go try out the Pilot first. I'm glad we did. The Pilot is bigger than the Highlander but not huge. Price-wise they were about the same. The Pilot isn't terribly powerful, but I don't plan on towing much more than a paddle boat, if that. Our other vehicle is an F350, so it's not like I need a towing vehicle. Although, Cole keeps saying now we need to get a boat. At any rate, I'm glad we went with the Pilot, cuz it would have been stupid to buy something we didn't like. I'm hoping we'll keep this more than 3 years. My van was just starting to get good gas mileage...

1 comment:

mrsolsenk12 said...

That looks like a great car Beck! I can't wait to see it myself in a couple of weeks.