Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Research

Oops, so it's been almost 5 months since my last post.  I may update you before the next 5 months, but today is something I need to blog about.  I know I've mentioned before that my mom has FTD, frontal temporal dementia.  My Dad has been taking her to research appointments at Large Hospital and has even consented to donate her brain when she is gone.  The problem is that they can do all the research they want after a person has been diagnosed, but it does them little good if they don't know what causes it or how it starts.  Large Hospital has been hoping to start a study on those with a family history, but haven't had the funding.  Enter my sister and me.  Today the call came in.  They have funding.

I am scared to death.

Of course, I consented and have appointments set.  It's nothing difficult on my part.  Memory tests, scans, blood draw.  The scary part is that I don't want to know.  Being in research means they will run tests every year and if we have it, it could lead to an earlier diagnosis.  I don't want to know.  I do not want to know which road I will travel down until I am traveling it.  It's scary seeing my mom and wondering if that will become me.  I'm not sure I can handle actually knowing.

So I do this for my kids and my grandkids.  If they can learn something from me.  If they can find a way to stop it, stall it, or treat it because of this research, then it is worth knowing.  I pray the data they collect from me and my sister will be worthless, because I pray this disease ends with my mom.  If it doesn't, then I pray this research gives my kids a better future.

But, I'm still scared to death.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

OH, wow! What an opportunity. Scary and hopeful for your family's future.

jessica said...

Wow that is tough Beck. I commend you for doing it and I hope it is all "worthless".