Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Merry Christmas to Me

I got a steam juicer for Christmas.  What I really wanted is this:



but they are really expensive.  You can buy a kit for the wood part pretty easily and cheaply, but it's the grinder and the press that are going to cost you, a lot.

So the steam juicer will work just fine :)

I bought some apples the other day to try apple juice first.  I bought red delicious, but the juice had about as much flavor as the apples, very little. Next time I'd try a better apple, or a combination.  I also tried orange juice.  One word: Gross!  It was like drinking orange peel.  Yesterday I made beef broth.  We get beef short ribs with our beef, but they are always tough and not terribly meaty.  I've tried tons of different ways of cooking them, but always with the same results.  I ended up with 3 cups of beef broth and very tender, juicy, shredded beef.  That was definitely a win.  Up next: pears!

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Was it easy to clean beef flavor from the plastic tube? I have one of those and I've used it for grapes and apples and Ruth used it for currents. Works great for those!