Monday, February 20, 2012

The Sex Talk

There has been a lot of "where do babies come from?" type questions at our house lately. Tate, particularly, has been asking how the baby got in there and how it's going to get out. Thankfully, the boys are no strangers to the miracle of birth, so Pat simply responded "like a cow." Then Cole chimed in with "so it'll come out your butt?" Close enough.

Cole had a good one the other day. He's starting to become private (except for me when I'm changing clothes or going to the bathroom). The other night he was getting ready for bed. As he was coming out of the bathroom he goes "Mom, you know that thing that hangs down from your pee bag?" I couldn't help it, I giggled a bit. Earlier in the school year he had some bladder issues, and I explained his bladder to him as the bag that holds his pee. Guess those things come back to bite you. Anywho, back to his question... I'm assuming he was talking about his scrotum. Of course, the name is never enough, he wanted to know what it was for. One of my many backgrounds is horticulture, so I started with it's the place where he stores his boy seeds and how when he's older they'll be used to make babies. He was so confused. I tried explaining how grapefruit seeds make grapefruit and corn seeds make corn, etc. He just wasn't getting it. He started thinking that's where he stores the seeds he eats. Finally I started talking about breeding cows and bulls, etc. All of a sudden, the light bulb clicked on and he says "ooooh! It's like a bull and the seeds go with the egg and they make a baby and it grows in your belly. Like you!"

When raising farm kids, always use the farm analogies first.

2 comments:

Sam Roth said...

I snorted on this one. You have the best and most funny kids ever!

Kristi said...

Those are awesome, Becky!