Friday, December 18, 2009

A Boy of the Cloth

I started cloth diapering back in July. It's an idea I'd toyed with for a while, but got terribly overwhelmed every time I looked at them online. I finally saw someone who used them and decided to give it a try. I found a friend willing to sell me hers. If I had had to buy them new, I would have never done it. It's a huge investment up front. I lucked out and got 25 diapers and inserts for $100! I honestly felt guilty paying that little. I had to buy new covers. I didn't like the slip on covers so I bought the Cool-A-Baby covers off of ebay. They worked fine until Tate started moving. Then the velcro adjustments started chaffing his legs. I finally broke down and bought the spendy covers, 6 of them. But those came in cute designs, like this cow print!

Let me say this, I am not an environmentalist. I don't do organic or natural crap. I do clotCheck Spellingh diapers simply for the cost savings. The fact that I don't throw disposable in the landfill is just a bonus. I don't especially enjoy hosing poop out of a diaper, but who does? I won't look down on you for using disposables, because frankly, there are days I wish I did and sometimes do. So, I'm not a huge advocate for cloth diapers, but I really don't mind it. I really like not having to buy diapers all the time and in a strange way, I actually enjoy diaper laundry. Not so much the dirty smell, but I love how they come out clean and fresh. Somedays I wish I could crawl in the washer with a little biz and come out as bright as they do, but that's another post :)

1 comment:

MrsTallPaul said...

I am VERY interested in learning more about cloth diapering... we will need to talk! mamie