Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Ears

I've got this kid.  He's a good kid; well-behaved, even-tempered, mild-mannered.  He's the one who's had surgery, broken a leg, broken a shoulder, and now has significant hearing loss in his left ear.  My heart breaks for him.  Thankfully, it appears the hearing loss is treatable, but it's just one more thing he has to go through.  He's just that kid that if something bad is going to happen, it's going to happen to him.

At his normal check up in June, he did not do well on his hearing test, but whether it was from too many distractions or actual hearing loss, we weren't sure.  The free audiology testing is only done during the school year, so I figured we'd wait until school started.  Then cross country started so I figured I'd just wait until I was done coaching to take him in.  At about the time that happened, I got a call from the school nurse saying he didn't pass his hearing test.  So in we went.  The audiologist said his hearing loss is equivalent to wearing an ear plug and holding your hand over that ear.  The funny thing, no one noticed.  He never said anything.  His teacher didn't notice.  I didn't notice.  Talk about making you feel like a bad parent.  How do you not notice your kid is half deaf?!?  We see an ENT at the end of this month.  Pray it's an easy fix and he gets to spend the rest of his years as "normal."

1 comment:

Kelly Strei said...

Becky,

I have a 7-year old son who recently got hearing aids in both ears. I know exactly how you feel. It was very hard for me to come to grips with the fact that he needed them and deciding to actually get them for him. If you ever want to talk about this, please let me know. I know you'll make the right decision.

Kelly (Petersen) Strei
Ceres - Alpha Pledge class