Thursday, November 15, 2012

6 year old worries

Cole is a worrier.  I'm sure I've blogged about this before, but he hasn't grown out of it like I had hoped.  This week is the book fair at school.  They did something new this year called Reach for the Stars.  Each child was supposed to read 20 minutes each night for about 2 weeks.  Each night they filled in a star to show that they had read that day.  They got sponsors and half the money donated went to the school for new library/classroom books.  The other half the kids got to keep in the form of a voucher for the book fair.  If kids did the reading but didn't have sponsors, they still got a $5 voucher.  So each kid that did the reading got at least one book from the book fair.  I thought it was kind of a neat idea.  My boys had some sponsors (thank you grandmas and grandpas and aunts!)  so they had a bit of money to spend.  They had all sorts of neat books and Cole picks out Earthquakes and Tsunamis among other less worrisome titles.  It was a factual book, but every page brought a new round of questions along with "can that happen here?"  Ugh!  I tried to convince him to look for another book, but nope, he wanted THAT one.  I tried reassuring him that we are not going to have earthquakes and tsunamis here, but it couldn't wipe that worried look off his face.  He is the kid that you make sure you don't watch or discuss news around.  I'm still hoping he grows out of it.  Enough to not be afraid, but not enough that he stops caring.

No comments: