Friday, August 24, 2012

Life and Death

So, I am rewriting the original post, sorry.  I got some misinformation yesterday, so I'm just going to write it over.

Remember this post on Dairy genetics a couple of years ago?  Of course you do!  Anywhoodle, that cute little red and white heifer calved yesterday morning.  She even had a little red and white heifer calf.  Unfortunately, the calf didn't make it.  The momma cow is ok (I had originally thought she died), so there is a chance my red and whites will continue, but now we have to wait a whole year and hope she has another heifer.  I was really excited for that little calf.  I thought all hope was lost for my red and whites and then Bean, yes, we named her Bean, came along.  It's been 2 years of waiting and we had trouble getting her bred.  I guess all we can do is wait some more and hopefully a year from now I'll have a happier post to write!
Here is Bean now.  She's lost all of her red except inside her ears, but we know there are red genes in her, so we'll keep trying!

No comments: