Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day

I'm not big on Hallmark holidays.  Typically Mother's Day is just another day for me.  I get to spend the day alone with my children while my husband is busy planting.  It happens every year.  Part of being a farmer's wife.  This year is a little different.  As a mother, I've gained a child, but as a child, I'm losing my mother.  Maybe it's the fact that I now have a daughter and I look at her and hope I can be the kind of mother I wish I had.  Don't get me wrong, I love my mom.  She was great, but while she's physically present, the dimentia has taken a big part of her away.  My mom was never an outgoing person.  She had a few close friends, but she was more of a behind the scenes, getting it done, type of person.  She claimed to hate to cook, but she was really good at it.  I think she just hated planning meals, like me.  She always left the last piece of pie, cake, whatever, for Dad.  Always.  She liked to take us girls shopping.  She liked to bike around town or go for a walk.  She was a great listener.  You could always count on her to call just to see how you were doing.  I miss my mom.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have tears in my eyes. I wish a miracle would bring her back to you.

Kristi said...

Your mom would be proud of the mama you already are.