Saturday, December 10, 2011

Santa

I'm not a huge fan of Santa. *Gasp* I know. I mean, the guy's got all the fun stuff. The fun songs, the cute decorations, and of course, the presents! But he isn't what Christmas is about. We do Santa, but my kids don't really buy it. Not that they aren't gullible enough (Cole still occasionally calls Long Johns, Long Bobs), but we apparently don't sell it hard enough. I wanted to just skip Santa all together, but Pat claimed we do all "my" traditions, so he gets Santa. I relented. We decided that Santa would fill stockings, but the big stuff under the tree comes from us. We try not to go overboard on our kids either. This year, I think they are each getting 4 gifts from us and a few little things in their stockings. I digress.

So what's not to like about Santa? I think he hides the true meaning of Christmas. We try to teach our boys that Christmas is Jesus' birthday and why he had to come as a baby, but they are constantly bombarded with Santa movies, Santa stories, and toys, toys, toys. Suddenly Christmas is about what they want and not about the Baby in the manger.

I'm also a hypocrite. Tomorrow we will take our boys into town to see Santa and I'm sure I'll even post a picture of them (Cole anyway) sitting on his lap. We also do the Elf on the Shelf, although my boys don't buy it. For them it's just a find the elf game every morning. That's fine with me. They have fun finding him and if I forget to hide him the night before I get to hear "Mom, you forgot to hide Buddy!" They don't think for a minute that he's real. I'm honestly not really sure what they think of Santa. Cole started saying things like "that doesn't look like the Santa we saw before" or "how can Santa be over here and over there?" Magic doesn't answer the questions either because magic isn't real. When people ask them if Santa is coming to their house, the boys give them a look like they're crazy and have no idea what they are talking about. I'm ok with that.

I am trying to find ways to phase Santa out and Jesus in. Every year we make a Christmas countdown. This year I added Bible verses to read each night. We are starting with verses from the Old Testament and we'll read the story of Jesus birth closer to Christmas. I didn't start it right away on the first, so I'm improvising and the first week we are actually working on their lines for the Christmas program at church. What kind of things do you do to make Christmas about Christ and less about Santa?

1 comment:

Beth said...

Have you ever seen the Veggie Tales movie "St. Nicholas"? Very cute and it explains where Santa came from and his connection to Jesus and the real reason for Christmas. I love your idea of adding Bible verses to the Christmas countdown!! I would love to see it, if you don't mind sharing.... :-)