Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Santa: Part Deux

We didn't go see Santa on Sunday. We would have, but I was sick, Pat didn't really want to go, and his parents were gone for the afternoon. We hadn't mentioned it at all to the boys, but I think Grandma did on Sunday morning. They didn't seem to care too much that they missed it.

I've been trying to figure out where Cole stands on Santa. He told me he knows Buddy the Elf (Elf on the Shelf) doesn't go to the North Pole because he isn't real. I asked if Santa was real, and yes, he thought Santa was real. But, if you ask him who fills his stockings, he answers that I do. So I don't really know if he thinks Santa brings him presents or not. At this point, it doesn't really matter. I'm not going to push a lie on him for a couple of years of "magic" at Christmas.

I was chatting with a friend the other day. Her family never did Santa, so for her, she doesn't really get the hype. For me, my first grade teacher sat us all down in the front of the room and told us all that Santa, the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, etc. weren't real. I'm fairly certain she made it clear we weren't supposed to tell anyone we knew the truth because I didn't tell my parents until I was in 4th grade. She was kind of a manipulative person and none of the kids liked her. Anywho, so I don't remember being overly excited about Santa, just the presents.

For those of you wondering about our Christmas chain, here are a few sites with Bible verses. Since we didn't start ours until a few days ago, I kind of pieced a bunch of verses together. We just made a simple one out of construction paper. I let the boys cut the red and green strips, so it definitely has a "homemade" look to it :)
This one has very short and sweet verses each night, which would be great for younger kids.
This one has longer passages.
This one is my favorite. It doesn't have the verses listed, but I may attempt to make a fabric chain for next year.
If you simply google Christmas countdown chain or Advent chain or attach the words Bible verses to the end of your search, you'll come up with tons of them. There are even some ready to print for you.

No comments: