Tuesday, May 17, 2016

School's Out!

Almost.  We're down to 3 days.  Part of me is ready for a break from the routine, but summer is so busy!  I've got the kids signed up for activities, but tried to limit it this year.  Most of their activities are a day here and a day there so hopefully it won't be too bad.

Cole is playing youth soccer.  He seems to enjoy it and I know I do.  I struggle with the whole "be a parent and not the coach" thing, but I'm trying to keep it in check.  It's a very basic league.  They focus on giving everyone playing time in all different positions.  It's been good for him.  He's signed up for 4H camp and a day of FCA camp with his chosen sport, cross country.

Tate wanted to play soccer, but he is too young yet this year.  Instead he'll be doing baseball, which is thankfully only 1 night a week for the month of June.  Shelby is signed up for T-ball which should be entertaining.

I'm trying to get everything finished up in the last week of school.  Once Cross Country is over in the fall I don't have to think about it again until the end of the school year.  Never fails the end of the year approaches and I'm not ready with summer workouts and getting captains in to visit 6th graders.  I think it all got done.  I'm also trying to use up my budget and get answers to some end of the season stuff from this fall.  It's all been very frustrating.  Dealing with the administrative part makes me wonder why I do this.  Tonight I got a little validation.  I was chatting with a former runner, who moved, and he was telling me he was going to miss running for me next year.  I like our program, but it's far from great, but whatever.  He told me I was the only coach he's ever had who would have chosen him over his brother.  I think what he was trying to convey was that I never compared him to his brother.  They are 2 very different people and I enjoyed having them both run.  His comment made me feel pretty good.  I just want to give kids a place to belong.  They don't have to be the best, or even good, to be part of our team.  Runners come from all different cliques in high school, but in cross country, they are even keel.  I guess I accomplished that for at least 1 of them.

In other news, I joined the direct marketing world.  I started selling LuLaRoe clothing.  It's been an up and down start, but I'm hoping June will level out a bit.  If you are on facebook here is my group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/969423743151626/ 

No comments: