Sunday, October 2, 2011

What Happened to Friday?


Oops, so much for my Fridays on the Farm goal. In my defense, it was a very busy day. So busy, I didn't even get a nap. Ya, I know!

So your farm update. This past week brought the start of soybean harvest. With the heat, wind, and no rain, things are drying down very quickly, almost too quickly. When harvesting crops, they allow for a certain percentage of moisture. Too wet, they dock points, too dry, they dock points. Usually too dry is not much of an issue, this year it is. The crop isn't great due to the early September frost and the super dry weather. It is what it is, that's farming!

We crop farm with Pat's dad and his uncle. Last night I was helping them move equipment from one field to the next. We're starting to look like big time farmers with 2 combines, semis, and a grain cart. It sure gets the job done faster.

No comments: